Ask qucchia #1

I asked some Scratchers to ask me some questions about Scratch ─ here are some of them. If I didn't answer your question, it's because I'll be answering it in the future. Stay tuned!
mlcreater asked:
How does Scratch know when someone clicks the heart or the star under a project? In other words, how do the love and favorite count update for everyone, and not just the person who clicked the button?
The update is sent to the Scratch servers ─ just as commenting, editing projects, and basically anything else would.
AnayVihan asked:

How can we make a my block that is just an input or boolean not the real block?

Unfortunately, that's not possible ─ there is no setting in the project.json that determines the type of block a custom block is, and so it cannot be converted into a reporter.

h0rnet15 asked:

Is there a way to convert scratch projects to executable files without using turbowarp or forkphorus? Some of my games that run fine in scratch don't work in turbowarp.

I'm surprised that your games can't run on TurboWarp: it's essentially Scratch but optimised. Maybe you should report this to GarboMuffin. Either way, there is in fact an HTMLifier for Scratch 3.0 by Sheeptester: https://sheeptester.github.io/htmlifier/. 

pepeda asked:

What made you join scratch?

In the summer of 2015 I stayed in a friend's house for a few weeks ─ there I found a book about programming in Scratch and Python. I tried it out, and found it fascinating! I still remember the first project I made: when you clicked, two die would be rolled, and would make a random sound.

-ZidTest- asked:

What is the meaning of life?

 I am a Christian, so for me the purpose of life is to live for and glorify God.

gumdrop_luna asked:

How similar is Scratch to Javascript, and is there some sort of Javascript equivalent to sprites?

It's hard to compare a block-based programming language with a text one; they are pretty similar, but that's in the way that they start from the top going down, but the biggest difference is that Scratch has several scripts that can run at the same time, while JavaScript is mainly oriented around a single script running in order. If you'd like to convert Scratch to JavaScript, try out Leopard.

Mazmythic asked:

What's your favorite project that you've made?

Certainly my hacked block collection ─ it was a lot of fun, and I smile each time I see people's reactions to it. 

mlcreater asked:

Is there a way to move stage monitors, like there are ways to show and hide them?

You can't directly move monitors, but you can manipulate the position of a monitor that has never been shown before. Once a monitor is shown, it can never move without going in the editor. As you may have noticed when you create several variables, a new variable's monitor's position is affected by other monitors that are shown. We can hack a Scratch project to make it think a monitor has never been shown, and so, we could more or less choose it's position. However, when it's shown, you'll have to refresh the page to change its position again.

Lizalfolos asked:

Can you PLEASE make a unicode block. Like on Snap!

The unicode as letter block is easy: you just need a list of unicode characters, and use the block item of unicode:


The other block, unicode of, is harder, though, because Scratch doesn't do case detection. You could use costumes for case detection, but I used a sprite so that you wouldn't need to have the costume in every sprite. You can find it in this project.

mrc7103 said:

Make a block that moves a step towards sprite and move a step away for sprite.

That's pretty simple to do: you just need to create one block for moving towards a sprite, and use a negative value for the steps to move away.

Anyway, that's all for now! If you have any more questions, ask on my profile or on my latest project, and I'll be sure to answer it! Stay safe,

~ qucchia

Popular posts from this blog

An Introduction to Hacking Scratch

What are shadowed blocks?